Have you got a mate who’s just not themselves lately? Or a family member who seems angry or withdrawn? The best thing to do is trust your gut instinct that something is going on for them, and check in with them. You can check in by asking if they are ok, and that you are there for them when they need you.
If asking people if they’re ok is new to you, it could be a challenge to get the words out.
Watch our video of rugby league player Sione, and how his mate checks in with him. Keep an eye on Sione’s Mental Wealth levels.
Tips on how to check in4:
- Pick a place to talk that is quiet and private.
- Let themknow you’ve noticed a change in their behaviour,
- Listen without judgement.
- Tell them you’re worried about them.
- If they need to talk to a counsellor, text or call 1737 together with them.
- Send them a text and check in later.